Tuesday, May 20, 2008

<>Week 6-Culture<>

"Normally she would grab me and then tell me to lie down on my belly on the floor and hold my ankles, sot hat she could tie me up for my beating. My mother used to beat us only on our arms and legs. But now I refused to lie down and hold my ankles as I should. She pulled my hair--on the side where I was hurt--but I didn't care anymore. I wouldn't do it...Ma demanded that Mahad help her get me down. I told him, in English so she wouldn't understand 'Please don't do it. Yesterday she beat me and I was beaten by the ma'alim. Nw they are beating me the same way. I do all the work here and it isn't fair'" (pg 75-76)"

For this week, I chose a passage from what stuck with me the most. While reading this book, sometimes it gets very long, and repetitively whiney. However, this really made me think about how her education is compared to mine.I am very appalled at some of the "punishments" that occurred in her schooling and all around domestic life. It is unbelievable to think that such treatment goes unnoticed. I can't really determine whether it is cultural or more religion based. Ayaan, feeling blessed enough to have the opportunity to be educated doesn't complain when her mother assigns her more chores so that she has difficulty finishing her homework. This reflects on her grades and then her mother actually says to her "How did I end up with three children and one of them is a retard?". My mother would never say anything of the sort because it obviously lacks compassion. All in all, the beatings that Ayaan received because of how her mother values her as worthless, as well as when she makes some silly decisions really make me think twice and be grateful for the violence free life I have.

No comments: