Tuesday, May 27, 2008

<>Week 7- Letter<>

Dear Ayaan,

Listening about your life is very interesting when it comes to expanding my horizons from my American/West African/Edina bubble. Hearing about what you experienced at my age is really fascinating to be able to compare. My life is so much more oriented towards what I want and making the best possible life for myself as an individual, not towards a husband and family environment. My parents always told me that if I cannot be independent, that they have not done their jobs as parents. However, it seems to be the exact opposite for you. Your family only permits you to get an education because that is what you wanted so badly, not because it will further you as a person. In your culture, it is important that females do not gain enough knowledge to be independent from men, because that is very frowned on. Women should “need” the men in order to be able to survive and flourish. The American norm for teenagers is allow them to grow and become independent so that they evaporate from the responsibilities of the adults who no longer want to be the disciplinarians.
I was also thinking about this book in comparison to the graphic novel we read in class, Persepolis. I see many similarities between you and Marji. Both of you are young women who are essentially suppressed by age and gender. Despite it being unusual for young women to be interested in politics and challenging things for why the way they are it is interesting to hear your perspectives on the events that you voice your opinion on. However, Marji has the support of her parents who believe in the same cause as she does and are willing to guide her in furthering her education and independence. Your parents do not believe in questioning anything, which is sad. You seem to have an adventurous mind that shouldn’t go to waste.

Even though I’m beginning to be able to tolerate the book…it is still very very whiny.

No comments: